Charcuterie Board Ideas
What is a Charcuterie Board?
Before you know what it is, you might need to know how to pronounce charcuterie! No need for embarrassment, a lot of people search for this online! It's pronounced "shar-COO-tur-ree."
A charcuterie board is a selection of cured meats, cheeses and other foods, often served as an appetizer. It's also sometimes called a cheese board or cheese plate, though the term comes from the French word charcuterie, which means "cured meat."
How to Make a Charcuterie Board
You've probably seen countless videos on TikTok of elegantly presented charcuterie boards and wondered how they do it.
The good news is, it doesn't have to be overly complicated or expensive. A good charcuterie board is one that has a variety of flavors, textures, and colors to enjoy. The key here is to keep things simple. You can always go back later and add more if needed.
Need a starting point? Here's a simple formula:
- Choose a couple of meats such as chorizo, prosciutto, salami, or pepperoni.
- Pick some complementary cheeses. Try one hard cheese, like cheddar, one soft, like brie, and one wildcard such as Stilton.
- Add nuts, such as cashews, walnuts, or almonds. Since meats and cheeses have a high level of sodium, you may want to skip the salt here.
- Sprinkle in some dried fruits, or add fresh grapes, apples, or berries.
- Include a small bowl of honey or fig paste.
- Fresh herbs for garnish, like rosemary or sage, add texture and an inviting scent.
- Offer a variety of sliced bread and crackers of various shapes and type. It's good to separately include gluten free options for guests.
Charcuterie Board Ideas
The great thing about charcuterie boards is that you can let your imagination run free! In addition to a traditional meat and cheese board, you can make dessert boards, "barkuterie" boards for dogs, and boards filled with fresh veggies and fruits.
You can build a charcuterie board on any surface. Lots of people use wooden cutting boards. If you're hosting a large gathering, you might build it out directly on a countertop covered with butcher paper or spread out across a few different dishes or boards. Charcuterie cups have also become popular over the past couple of years, due to the need for individual servings.
Drapela Works: Personalized Charcuterie Boards
We love the fact that charcuterie boards are easy to prepare. They require minimal prep time, but still offer a lot of flavor. Even better, they are meant to be shared, and gathering with family and friends is something we appreciate now more than ever.
Our new custom wood boards are made specifically for charcuterie, and designed to be a gift that lasts. These boards have specific sections to help you build your perfect board.